Tuesday, April 19, 2011

They Get Cold Too!

Sometimes I try to convince myself that I don’t feel bad for inanimate objects. But then I will randomly catch myself in my room, putting on a huge comfy sweatshirt because I am cold, and I will see this forlorn doll laying pant-less in the corner and I can’t help but feel that something is horribly wrong with that situation. It’s like I’m the big, cruel giant that gets to change clothes on my own, be warm, talk, eat and sleep in a big comfy bed, all because I am human... They didn’t choose to be lifeless! 
Maybe it’s because I have too much time and nothing else to think about. Maybe it's because they resemble living things (Furby never was, nor ever will be a part of this elite group). Maybe it's because I think of good memories when I look at them and I decide that I must somehow make-up for the fact that one day I just lost interest in them, left them to live in shame for years in the corner of my room... some, without pants. Once I start thinking like this, it’s hard to just let it go and walk away. I will reminisce about all the good times we shared, and the guilt just starts to eat at me.

It's not always the same situation, sometimes this happens because I found one buried under a mess of stuff, sometimes I just look a little too long at their sad little beady eyes. But something just calls out to me, feel sorry for me! Saaaave me!! 
I know it sounds crazy, that’s why I always ignore it.
But once the thought has occurred to me, it won’t just go away...

I try to fight it.

but if I have already thought about it for this long, I'm doomed. I'm annoyed and embarrassed that I have already spent that long contemplating it, I'm just gonna do it and get it over with! It will take 2 seconds and then I won't have to think about it anymore!

Sometimes I put a blanket on top of it, to ease my little mind that is telling me that this dang INANIMATE OBJECT is cold... I do a double-take first to make sure that nobody is witnessing this action. If this occurs an uncomfortable one too many times, I start to wonder if maybe blankets are too obvious, that someone will start to notice the oh-too-convenient placement of them, so instead, I will strategically throw my dirty shirt on top of the poor thing I am trying to save, convinced that any little bit helps... and then I walk by to check and make sure that their face is not covered, because I don’t want to be responsible for a suffocation accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment